What is an introducer agreement?
The basics: This introducer agreement template sets out the terms between an introducer (sometimes referred to as a referrer) and the contracting company, where the introducer refers or introduces (i.e. identifies to the company as a potential new customer) new customers in return for a fee (usually on a commission basis). It is sometimes known as a sales commission agreement or referral agreement.
Why do you need an introducer agreement?
If you are the company: You should use this introducer agreement template where you want another company to refer potential new customers to you in order for you to enter into a contract with that customer for the sale of goods or services. Having contractual terms in place will offer protection to your company's brand and reputation when the introducer is promoting your goods and/or services to prospective customers and making introductions.
If you are the introducer: Clear contractual terms are key to ensure that commission (or fees) are paid when qualifying introductions are made. Without an introducer agreement, a company could argue that no commission (or fees) are due even though it has only contracted with a customer as a result of an introduction made by you. This introducer agreement template allows for different fee and commission structures to be used, so it can be tailored to your commercial relationship.
What does an introducer agreement include?
Key provisions: The introducer agreement template includes provisions to protect both party's interests, including:
- Fees and payment: this sets out the type of fees due (e.g. commission per contract entered into or a fixed fee) and the payment terms relating to payment of those fees;
- Exclusivity: the introducer agreement template contains options for exclusive, non-exclusive and sole appointments, so there can be no dispute over the basis on which the introducer is being engaged;
- Liability: this provision include optional financial caps on each party's liability in order to limit potential exposure;
- Scope of activities: you can tailor the scope of the activities that the introducer is expected to undertake (e.g. whether active promotion / advertising of the company's goods and services is required) so that it is customised to your needs;
- Introducer obligations: the introducer's obligations can be clearly defined and tailored to your requirements, so it is clear what the introducer has authority to do under the agreement - this is key to protecting the company's brand and reputation; and
- if you already have your own provisions that you would like to include in the template, Docue also gives users the chance to write their own terms.
When can this introducer agreement template be used?
Introductions in the UK: This introducer agreement template is designed to be used in the UK under the laws of England and Wales. Different jurisdictions and countries have different laws surrounding introducers (who may or may not be considered commercial agents), so we would not recommend using this agreement outside the UK.
Different to sales agents: You should not use this document where you want the introducer to have the authority to conduct any negotiations or to enter into contracts on your behalf - in this case, they would be acting as an agent and an agency agreement should be entered into.
With Docue, you can create a top-quality introducer agreement in minutes. The introducer agreement template includes model clauses designed by business lawyers to help you draft the contract yourself and tailor it to your requirements.
Once you have created a contract that is tailored to your business needs, you can send the contract to each of the parties for e-signing. After the contract is signed, you can store the agreement in Docue’s storage vault to ensure you always have quick and easy access to your contracts in one place.
You can ensure you never miss a contract renewal again by enabling Docue’s handy reminders to notify yourself of the next upcoming deadline.
Tags: referral agreement, introducer agreement, introducer agreement template, introducer, customer introductions, sales commission agreement